Tuesday, October 18, 2011

One vacant lot at a time....

Beginning my day today with community service at the vacant lots on the East side of Kalamazoo was not easy but it was very rewarding. I began my work moving logs, next I relocated compost, and I ended my morning sifting soil. As I was working, I thought my individual contribution to the garden was not significant enough to make a difference. But as I looked around at my classmates, who were also diligently working, I realized that twenty-eight people does make a difference! A big difference. Just seeing the transformation of the lots from the time we arrived there to the time we left was impressive. I can only imagine what the garden is going to look like once it is finished. I am looking forward to seeing it! It's pretty cool that one day we can look at it and say, "I helped build this."

No comments:

Post a Comment