Here are some obvious pros and cons I found online about managing volunteers:
In many ways volunteers are easier:
- They want to be there
- You generally don’t have to fire volunteers
- There are no salary negotiations
- They’re willing to do work that may be boring, unpleasant or too time consuming for you
- They make you look good!
But managing volunteers adds some challenges:
- They come in all ages
- They take long vacations
- Sometimes they don’t show up
- They might cancel at the last minute
- They may have more experience than you (or think they do)
- Their priorities may not match yours.
What are other things you could add to these lists? What things can you take from this list and put into place about today? Personally I felt like a lot of people weren't so excited about the project before heading out to Edison, but everyone really seemed to enjoy themselves as we started making progress, and I'm excited to head back out and see if the flowers perked up at all in a few weeks!